Tuesday, May 5, 2009

36 weeks and a soapbox


yep, I finally look pregnant, according to what most people tell me...well, heck I only have a few weeks left, I hope I look pregnant!  That must be one of the most annoying things about being pregnant, random unsolicited comments.  That is why I am so grateful I was pregnant during mostly cold weather.  No one can tell when you have a huge winter coat on that you are pregnant and so you avoid comments from total strangers.  The advice, questions, and just plain annoying comments do get really old after awhile.  
Speaking of strangers, does anyone else find it odd when complete strangers start trying to have a conversation with your 2 year old, and expectantly wait for a response.  Considering she is pretty shy even when around people she knows such as our family, I would consider it a great miracle that she would start talking openly with a stranger.  But what I find most disturbing is that I really don't want my 2 year old to feel that she should have to talk to these people.  I usually just smile and not give any information to them.  I figure if I answer for her, she might start thinking she would be okay answering them.  I know they are being harmless and just like I think 2 year olds are cute, they do too...but really people, give me a break and remember that "don't talk to strangers" is a pretty accepted thought for kids.
Okay, sorry for the rant, it just seems that lately everywhere we go, it's pregnancy comments and "oh, she's adorable, what's your name?..."  Okay, done with my soapbox now!
Maria listening to her little sister.
I'm not sure what she thought she heard, but was pretty excited about it.

We have plenty to praise God for; anticipation for new life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand! I have people try to talk to my boys all the time and when they get shy they are like oh I guess I shouldn't be talking to you since mommy is always telling you don't talk to strangers! So why did you start?! I was so big that people always thought I was overdue and I hadn't even hit my due date yet. They said they were going to cry for me ... maybe we should just start carrying duct tape with us and pass it out as needed!! :)

Robyn