So, I have made bagels at home twice, and we have decided that we really like them. Not that I don't like the store variety, but they seem to be SO heavy and often too big. So making your own, you can decide how big and they don't seem so heavy. So here is the basic recipe I used and directions, plus a couple pictures.
Honey Bagels
from Taste of Home
Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- (My changes: I left out the egg because we only had one and I needed it for dinner. I also didn't use the toppings. We like them plain.)
Directions:
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, 3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt and egg; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth firm dough forms, about 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. (I used my mixer instead of kneading by hand, works well with a dough hook.)Shape into 12 pieces; roll each piece into a 10-in. rope. Form bagels by overlapping the ends; pinch to seal. Place on a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. (The last time I made them I read about making balls of dough and poking a hole in the middle instead of making ropes, it worked well, so I did it again.)
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water and remaining honey to a boil. Drop bagels, one at a time, into boiling water. Cook bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with onion, sesame and poppy seeds.
Place bagels 2 in. apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. (I did have a problem with it sticking to the wax paper, not sure if I had actually used parchment if it would have been okay, maybe next time I will just grease a pan) Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Turn and bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.
Okay, Mindy, now you owe me the strombolli recipe! :)
2 comments:
They look yummy! I will try to get you the recipe today. It is actually on another person's blog, so I can give you that sight. I could take pictures, but the leftovers are in the freezer. :)
That's pretty cool! I'm going to go look for a sourdough version. I bet bagels would bake nicely on a baking stone -- no greasing or lining required.
Post a Comment